Applying To The Major
When to Apply
- The deadline for application to the major is February 1.
- You must apply for admission during the fall semester in which you reach 60 or more semester credit hours (i.e., junior status).
- Students who are seeking to enter the major must submit applications between November 1, 2017 and February 1, 2018. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
- Admission decisions typically are made by April 15. (Admission decisions for transfer students may be later than this date).
Minimum GPA Requirement
- To be considered for admission to the major, you must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.7 or higher at the time of application. Although 2.7 is the minimum GPA, be advised that our department receives many applications for admission to the major, and the typical cumulative GPA for students who are admitted to the major is 3.50 or above.
Required Critical Tracking Courses
To be considered for admission to the major, you must successfully complete the following critical tracking courses:
- General Psychology (PSY 2012)
- An additional psychology course (DEP 3053, PSB 3002 or EXP 3604 are recommended)
- A general biology course (BSC 2007, BSC 2009 or BSC 2010)
- Human Physiology with Lab (APK 2105C, strongly recommended)
- Statistics (STA 2023)
- A communications course (COM 1000, SPC 2300 or SPC 2608, or equivalent)
- A physical science course: Important: If you plan to seek clinical certification for eventual employment in speech-language pathology or audiology, it is necessary that the physical science requirement be met by taking a course in either Chemistry or Physics.)
Application Process for On-campus BHS program
Your application packet should include the following materials:
CURRENT UF STUDENTS: APPLICATION TO THE BHS-CMS PROGRAM
Please complete our Department application.
- In our Department application, we will ask you to submit a copy of your academic transcripts by uploading them to the application. (So, you will submit an official copy of your transcripts to the UF Office of Admissions and upload a second copy of your transcripts to our Department application.)
TRANSFER STUDENTS: APPLICATION TO THE BHS-CMS PROGRAM
If you have or will have completed an Associate of Arts degree (or the equivalent) and critical tracking courses by the term of enrollment, application to the BHS-CMS program is a two-step process. Both steps must be completed for your application to be evaluated.
STEP 1: Complete the online application UF Undergraduate Admissions Application.. (Before completing this application, you should first check to see if you meet the minimum UF transfer admissions requirements.)
- Select the TRANSFER/READMISSION application option.
- Select Comm Sci and Disorders as your major in the Program of Study section and the Fall term.
- Complete all sections of the application. Make sure to complete the College Courses section if you have not already completed the prerequisite course requirements.
- Send official transcripts from high school and all post-secondary schools attended to the UF Office of Admissions, P.O. Box 114000, Gainesville, FL 32611
- Pay the $30 application fee (check or money order preferred)
- Please make note of your UFID assigned during the application process as you will need it for Step 2. If you do not know your UFID contact the UF Help Desk for assistance.
STEP 2: After submitting your application to the UF Office of Admission, then you should complete our Department application.
In our Department application, we will ask you to submit a copy of your academic transcripts by uploading them to the application. (So, you will submit an official copy of your transcripts to the UF Office of Admissions and upload a second copy of your transcripts to our Department application.)
- We recommend that you Check Your Application Status Here regularly. The Office of Admissions will post information here to let you know if you are missing any piece of your application including transcripts or other documents.
- Official academic transcripts of all college/university coursework. This requirement is only for those applicants who are not currently attending UF (i.e., transfer students). Transfer students should send an electronic copy of their college transcripts to Taylor Price. The transcripts should be sent prior to February 1. The transcripts should include grades for all courses taken up through the fall semester of the sophomore year. [Applicants who are attending UF at the time of application may be asked to submit official transcripts after they have been admitted.]
Note: The application portal for our distance learning BHS program and our post-baccauleate program is on a separate web page. If you are interested in applying to those programs, click here.