Post-Baccalaureate in Communication Sciences and Disorders

Q: Is the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) required for admission?
A: No. The GRE is not required for admission to complete post baccalaureate coursework.

Q: If I already have a bachelor’s degree in another field, can I complete the Online BHS-CMS Program to earn a second bachelor’s degree?
A: There are no advantages to earning a second bachelor’s degree (60 hours) over completing the prerequisites for graduate admission (27 hours). If you are interested in becoming a Speech Language Pathologist or Audiologist, you must earn an advanced degree to practice. Completing a second bachelor’s degree (and the additional elective courses that go with it) prior to application to graduate school will take twice as long and double your cost without offering you a competitive advantage for admission to graduate school. The following items are weighted heavily by the UF admissions committee when making their admission decisions: GRE score; grades in prerequisite courses; volunteer activities in the field; and letters of recommendation from professors in the prerequisite courses.

Program Information

Q: Is the program completely online?
A: Yes, the program is 100% online.

Q: How will I access academic advisement?
A: Online students can contact their assigned academic advisors by phone, email, and Skype. Many academic and career resources are also made available through the program’s Online Student Center, which all admitted students have access to.

Courses and Registration

Q: Do I have to log on to view course lectures at specific times?
A: You can watch the online lectures when it’s convenient for you during the week. However, it is expected that students keep up with the weekly material. We record the synchronous lectures and post links to these recordings on course web sites within 24 hours of the lecture. Once posted, lectures remain available to students for the rest of the semester, allowing students maximum lecture viewing flexibility.

  1. Approximately how many hours will I spend online each week.
    A. Each 3-credit course will consist of recorded lectures (approx. 60 min), reading assignments (textbook chapters, journal articles, webpages), assignments (activities/assessments/discussion board), and a live chat (60 min). As stated in the previous answer, the student can attend the live chat in person but it will also be recorded so it can be viewed at a later time when it is more convenient for the student. The amount of time a student will spend completing these various activities will vary greatly depending on the individual student’s preferred learning style and study habits.

Q: How do I get required textbooks?
A: Textbook requirements for online courses are posted in the Online Student Center and our campus bookstore in advance of each upcoming term. Some of them may be available at your local bookstore, but ordering them online is also an option (and sometimes cheaper). Shipping from online book suppliers can take as little as two to three days. Check with individual companies for shipping guidelines. Visit the UF Bookstore website for more information.

Q: Do I need to take the courses in any specific order?
A: The program offers specific courses each term. Students are expected to take major courses as they are available. Because of prerequisites, a few courses need to be taken before others in the program. General and college electives can be taken as available and with more flexibility. Academic advisors provide assistance to students in tailoring course schedules to their individual needs.

The Profession

Q: What are the requirements to be certified and licensed as a speech-language pathologist?
A: In order to be certified to practice as a speech-language pathologist by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, an individual must earn a Master’s degree with an emphasis in speech-language pathology, complete a 9-month Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY) after graduation with the Master’s degree, and pass a national examination. The CFY is 9 months of full-time employment under the supervision of a certified speech-language pathologist.

State licensure varies from state to state, so you should check the requirements of the state in which you plan to practice. Most states accept ASHA certification as qualifications for licensure, but others may require an additional test and/or experience. You will need to get a provisional license in order to do your CFY. The Master’s degree is required in order to get the provisional license.

Q: What are the requirements to be certified and licensed as an audiologist?
A: In order to be board certified in audiology by the American Board of Audiology, you must have successfully completed a doctoral program in audiology from a regionally accredited institution, have passed a national examination, and completed at least 2000 hours of mentored professional practice with a two-year period.  Maintenance of board certification also requires completion of 60 hours of approved continuing education within a 3-year period.

In order to be certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association to practice as an audiologist, an individual must earn a doctoral degree with an emphasis in audiology that includes a 1-year full time equivalent clinical externship, and pass a national examination.

State licensure varies from state to state, so you should check the requirements of the state in which you plan to practice. Many states accept ASHA or ABA certification as qualifications for licensure, but others may require an additional test and/or experience

Q: What courses are commonly required for admission to master’s programs in SLP?
A: Commonly required courses for admission to the master’s program in SLP are:

SPA3003 Phonetic Theory and Transcription
SPA3011 Speech Acoustics
SPA3032 Fundamentals of Hearing
SPA3101 Speech Anatomy & Physiology
SPA4004 Language Development
SPA4104 Neural Basis of Communication
SPA4250 Introduction to Speech Disorders or SPA4400 Introduction to Language Disorders
SPA4302 Audiometry & Hearing Disorders
SPA4321 Audiologic Rehabilitation (This course is not specifically required for admission to UF’s Master’s program in SLP.)