Applying to the major
When to Apply
- The deadline for application to the major is June 1st.
- You must apply for admission during the fall semester in which you reach 60 or more semester credit hours (i.e., junior status).
- Students who are seeking to enter the major must submit applications between November 1 and June 1. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
Minimum GPA Requirement
- To be considered for admission to the major, you must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.7 or higher at the time of application. Although 2.7 is the minimum GPA, be advised that our department receives many applications for admission to the major, and the typical cumulative GPA for students who are admitted to the major is 3.50 or above.
Required Critical Tracking Courses
To be considered for admission to the major, you must successfully complete the following critical tracking courses:
|TITLE||APPROVED EQUIVALENT COURSES|
|General Psychology||PSY 2012|
|Additional Psychology||DEP 3053; PSB 3002; OR EXP 3604|
|General Biology||BSC 1005; BSC 1010; BSC 2005; OR BSC 2010|
|Additional Biology||APK 2105C (strongly recommended)|
|Communications||COM 1000; SPC 2608; OR SPC 2300|
|Physical Science||Important: If you plan to seek clinical certification for eventual employment in speech-language pathology or audiology, it is necessary that the physical science requirement be met by taking a course in either Chemistry or Physics.|
TRANSFER STUDENTS: APPLICATION TO THE BHS-CMS PROGRAM
If you have or will have completed an Associate of Arts degree (or the equivalent) and critical tracking courses by the term of enrollment, application to the BHS-CMS program is a two-step process. Both steps must be completed for your application to be evaluated.
STEP 1: Complete the online application UF Undergraduate Admissions Application. Before completing this application, you should first check to see if you meet the minimum UF transfer admissions requirements.)
- Select the TRANSFER/READMISSION application option.
- Select Comm Sci and Disorders – Online Program as your major in the Program of Study section and the Fall term.
- Complete all sections of the application. Make sure to complete the College Courses section if you have not already completed the prerequisite course requirements.
- Send official transcripts from high school and all post-secondary schools attended to the UF Office of Admissions, P.O. Box 114000, Gainesville, FL 32611
- Pay the $30 application fee (check or money order preferred)
- Please make note of your UFID assigned during the application process as you will need it for Step 2. If you do not know your UFID contact the UF Help Desk for assistance.
STEP 2: After submitting your application to the UF Office of Admission, then you should complete our Department application.
- In our Department application, we will ask you to submit a copy of your academic transcripts by uploading them to the application. (So, you will submit an official copy of your transcripts to the UF Office of Admissions and upload a second copy of your transcripts to our Department application.)
- We recommend that you Check Your Application Status Here regularly. The Office of Admissions will post information here to let you know if you are missing any piece of your application including transcripts or other documents.